Health insurance


Click HERE for a leaflet related to health insurance.


It is highly recommended to all international students to take out a travel and health  insurance in your home country for your travel and for a few weeks more  just to stay on the safe side.


If you are an exchange student  from EU can use your European Health Insurance Card for emergency  medical care free of charge which you took out before departure in your home country.

If you are an exchange student from a non-EU country, you must have a valid insurance from your home country. It means that you will have to pay for the medical treatment in Hungary but later, when you return, based on the receipt you get at the hospital/GP your insurance company in your home country will refund your costs.  It is also possible to take out a private health insurance in Hungary. Please contact DIR if you need one.

If you are a state scholarship holder degree student  you are entitled for the services of the Hungarian health care system and the services of a private insurance company free of charge. DIR officers will arrange it/start the application process for you during your administrative registration.

If you are a self-financing degree student you must take out a private medical insurance on your own expense for your entire stay in Hungary. DIR officers are ready to help you with that  during your administrative registration. 


Please note that it is compulsory for everyone to hold a valid medical insurance and it is a pre-condition of maintaining your student status.